The Accounting Manager will be responsible for a wide variety of accounting responsibilities. The position requires that the candidate be a hands-on professional with a strong understanding of the application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).This position will be an integral part of the month-end close including assistance with technical accounting compliance, adoption of new accounting standards and assistance with SEC filing (10-Q and 10-K). Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills and desire and ability to maintain strong SOX-compliant processes are also important. This position reports to the Senior Director, Corporate Controller.
- Responsible for completing month-end close processes, including preparing and posting journal entries and maintaining balance sheet reconciliations, in an accurate and timely manner.
- Calculate accurate expense recognition for month-end closeincluding clinical trial and other R&D accruals. Review new and amended to determine appropriate accounting treatment and coordinate with stakeholders regarding costs and activities incurred.
- Lead monthly meetings with project managers to obtain and review accrual information for month-end close.
- Oversee Accounts Payable function, ensuring all transactions and cash disbursements are consistent with our accounting policies and procedures.
- Prepare monthly actual-to-budget analysis, including monthly projections.
- Responsible for establishment, operation and updating of controls, including narrative standard operating procedure documentation and communication thereof with employees.
- Prepare quarterly financial statements, including BS and P&L flux analysis to support MD&A.
- Assist in system implementation projects to streamline processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or a related field
- At least 5 – 7 years’ experience in accounting, preferably at a public biotech company
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Excel
- Strong organization and time management skills
- A high attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently, managing multiple priorities to meet
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, including accrual-based accounting
- CPA strongly preferred
- Public company experience strongly preferred
- Experience in an accounting role with a biotech/pharmaceutical company
- Experience preparing or reviewing clinical trial accruals strongly preferred
- Experience working in a Sarbanes-Oxley compliant control environment