Job Title: Controller
Department: G&A, Finance Location: San Diego, CA
Reports To: CFO
Position Type / FLSA Status: Full-time / Exempt
The Controller will be responsible for implementing and maintaining a system of internal controls that will ensure that company assets are adequately safeguarded and that all financial reporting is prepared in compliance with all financial policies, SEC requirements, and US GAAP.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the general accounting function, including AP, AR, GL, payroll, financial statements and financial reporting.
- Manage monthly close of company financial statements. Review and approve account reconciliations. Ensure that the close process is performed in a timely, efficient and accurate manner.
- Responsible for all external reporting, including Form 10-K/Q.
- Ensuring all policies and procedures (internal controls) are in place to provide reasonable assurance that the company assets are protected.
- Coordinating and overseeing the Sarbanes Oxley activities relative to internal controls documentation and testing.
- Providing technical accounting research and guidance.
- Ensuring that company financial reports are prepared in compliance with policies and directives, US GAAP and SEC reporting requirements.
- Coordinate work relating to both internal and external audits in the periodic review of the company’s financial records and for the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, resulting from the audit findings.
- Support the budgeting, forecasting and planning process on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
Education, Certifications, Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance. CPA preferred
- A minimum of 10 years accounting and finance experience in biotech/healthcare
- Recent experience as a corporate controller of a public company
- Thorough understanding of US GAAP and complex accounting issues
- Demonstrated experience in external reporting (SEC 10K, 10Q, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with abilities to present projects and issues to employees and management.
- Ability to perform under pressure and time constraints while using sound judgment.
- Experience managing and maintaining positive business relationships.
- Must be proficient using Microsoft Office applications such as Word and Excel.